We take a holistic view toward our ambition of Nothing Better in the Market. The quality of our brands, our global footprint, the caliber and diversity of our people, the investments we make to grow our business are all connected to enriching our consumers, our communities, and the environment.
We empower mindful choices around beverage alcohol, providing a safe, inclusive, and engaging workplace, protecting the environment, and making a positive contribution to our communities.
Diversity & Inclusion
Global Community Relations
- We are committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions across our owned operations and supply chain in accordance with the United Nations’ 1.5°C scenario. Jack Daniel's works in partnership with the Tennessee Valley Authority, Duck River Electric Membership Corporation, and Silicon Ranch to provide the distillery with 20 megawatts of solar energy. The agreement will provide nearly three quarters of the distillery’s electricity needs.
- We are dedicated to protecting the health of key watersheds in our communities and creating Net Positive Water Impact in water-stressed basins where we operate. Our targets include 100% of our high-risk and business critical watersheds achieve water balance by 2030.
- Our ten-year D&I strategy, Many Spirits, One Brown‑Forman, includes six strategic imperatives to better focus our actions. Our ambitions include having at least 40 percent female senior leaders globally and 25 percent people of color in the U.S. by 2030. We aim to achieve these ambitions with a mindful and continuous focus on recruiting, retaining, and developing diverse talent. Our goals will continue to expand over time to include other aspects of diversity.
- We focus on cultivating positive impact through our Pause responsibility campaign, responsible marketing, partnerships with organizations like Responsibility.org, and our ongoing support for addiction recovery groups.
- We work with DendriFund to initiate and accelerate a collective effort to bring rye back to Kentucky as a commercial cover crop. This collaborative effort will help conserve farmland and improve soil health and water quality, while also providing a local rye supply for Brown‑Forman, the Kentucky bourbon industry, and others such as bakers and brewers.
- We committed $20 million to the Brown‑Forman Foundation, which provides community investments centered on our hometown, with a special emphasis on improving education and economic development in our west Louisville neighborhood.
- In total, our owned facilities currently divert 99.7% of waste from landfill. We collaborate with DendriFund on white oak and agricultural sustainability to improve regeneration of the trees our cooperages use to make our whiskey barrels.
- Our ten-year strategic plan, Many Spirits, One Brown‑Forman, includes six strategic imperatives to better focus our actions. Our ambitions include having at least 40 percent female senior leaders globally and 25 percent people of color in the U.S. by 2030. We aim to achieve these ambitions with a mindful and continuous focus on recruiting, retaining, and developing diverse talent. Our goals will continue to expand over time to include other aspects of diversity.
- Brown‑Forman donated approximately $2 million to COVID-19 relief efforts around the world with many of our charitable efforts focused on supporting workers in the hospitality industry. We also connected with our neighbors, distributing 70,000 meals and hand sanitizer produced at Brown‑Forman distilleries to community partners in Louisville, Kentucky.
The past year will long be remembered. We marked a 150-year anniversary, endured a global pandemic, witnessed social unrest, and experienced rapidly changing market dynamics. Our core purpose of enriching life and our highest ambition of “Nothing Better in the Market” continues to guide us as we move forward to a reimagined future with a renewed sense of opportunity for what lies ahead.
Brown‑Forman’s 2021 Scorecard presents data across the areas of alcohol responsibility, environmental sustainability, employee relations and diversity, and community involvement.